I spend a lot of time looking at food blogs, oohing and aahing over recipes that I could never even dream up, let alone successfully make. Sometimes, the cooking creations I see are so amazing that I experience the same feeling that I would were I to watch the Victoria’s Secret runway show: not jealousy, but simply amusement at how far from reality it all is.
However, the truth is that just like how I can be a sexy lady without strutting down a catwalk wearing a pair of angel wings that weighs almost as much as a model’s underfed, lingerie-clad body does, I can whip up something scrumptious that requires absolutely no kitchen magic.
And that’s what coconut macaroons are for. All the necessary ingredients are already in the house, they only take a couple minutes to throw together, they can look as sloppy or neat as you allow them to be, and they still taste great. For extra flash, dip them in melted chocolate. Just because they’re a beginner’s dessert doesn’t make them any less delicious.
Easy Four Ingredient Coconut Macaroons
Recipe from Baking Bites
Yields 12 large macaroons
3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1. Preheat over to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Spread your shredded coconut on a cutting board and chop coarsely with a night to break up with larger shreds of coconut.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Ass in shredded coconut and stir with a spatula until well moistened.
4. Place a level 1/4 scoop of the coconut mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Pack the macaroons together with your fingers into your desired shape (mounds and pyramids are typical).
5. Bake for about 20 minutes (time will varied based on size of cookies), until macaroons are golden brown around the edges. Cool before eating.